Monday, November 22, 2004

Not Really Impressed with the Nintendo DS.

Like most of America, I spent the day at the local Wal-Mart. I spent a good 95% of that time in the electronics section, and 90% of that time was spent trying to figure out how to start a game on the Nintendo DS. I’m not an idiot when it comes to things like this. The pen was misaligned with the screen, I swear it. That and the Wal-Mart Drone told me the kids had been mashing the screen.

Once I finally got into the game, the controls took a few minutes to get use to. I was playing the Metroid Prime demo. You’re supposed to move around by using the direction pad, look around by using the pen, and you’re supposed to shoot stuff by tapping on the screen with the pen, but that was not happening.

I’m sure there is a lot of potential for the Nintendo DS. I don’t think it will turn out to be another virtual boy. The graphics seems a lot better then the Nintendo 64’s did, and I hope they are even better for the Gameboy Advance 2. The little chat feature on the Nintendo DS is a bit useless. I mean, if I’m sitting next to someone I’m going to communicate by voice, not a DS. I'll have to sit down with this unit more.

I think I’m going to skip this gadget and save for the Sony Playstation Portable.

2 comments:

thebentaylor said...

Yeah, that make is seem like chat is a big feature. It would be awesome if I could hop onto my wireless network and send IMs to people that way. Deep down in everyone's heart, we all want to send a "yur mom" message to people acrossed the country. Wireless gaming will be fun.

I went to best buy, who had a better DS on display, so I got to mess around with the settings.

The Virtual Gamer aka: Hevvy Metahl said...

It is great because sometimes i'm in the mall or bookstore or something and look to see if i can join a ds game with some one and just have instant game network! and don't knock the Virtual Boy